As part of our demo day at Sentry Box we ran a 1000pt Bolt Action game with my Germans and Palmer’s Americans. This was the largest game we have run yet and had the widest number of units and vehicles that we’ve used.
We played Hold Until Relieved with Palmer attacking and my Germans defending. The Hotel in the centre of the table was the objective for the game. Palmer was attacking from the right (in the photo above) and had placed his three infantry units in the two rightmost farm houses and in the orchard. I placed an MMG team in the upper floor of the Hotel and an infantry squad in the ruined church next to it.
I didn’t have a chance to take photos before our game today so here are my completed StuG III G and the leIG18 team.
Not entirely happy with the StuG but I learned a bit about painting the camouflage and weathering. Now on to some of the infantry.
Just a quick post to show a photo of my 28mm Warlord StuG G. I’ve just done a pin wash on it and am cleaning up the wash before doing some further work.
Warlord Games 28mm StuG G
I have the schurzen which I will also be attaching. Next up is some more cleaning and then a dry brush and then the camo. The photo is coming out a lot more yellow than it looks on my desktop. I blame the “natural” light bulbs.
I had a few hours to myself today so I managed to get some painting done. I started work on the leIG18 and crew as well as the StuG III G for my Bolt Action force. I also started work on PanO Military Order starter set. The StuG III is still in parts as I need to paint the tracks prior to attaching them (its just easier) and then the main body and schurzen need to be painted and then assembled once most of the work on the body has been completed.
Oddly I am finding the StuG less intimidating than the leIG18 crew. Something about having to get all the colours on the uniform correct is causing me to stress about painting them. The PanO figures are for the local Infinity Escalation league. I suspect that I will miss the first two weeks due to the twin’s soccer schedule but I want to attempt to keep up with the rest of the players so I don’t get too far behind.
Palmer and I spent Sunday at The Sentry Box running a demo of the Bolt Action WWII rules for some local gamers. We had four people who came to the store to check out that game with three of them playing and a fourth just watching and asking questions.
The table was set up with a farm on one half and a wooded, hilly section on the other. Sadly I don’t have enough tress to really create the effect I wanted so it looked more sparse than I was hoping for.
Palmer and I met up at Sentry Box to play a 750pt Bolt Action game. I was hoping to have my StuG G at least primed and assembled for the game but was unable to get out to get some Dunkel Gelb primer. The Warlord StuG I picked up really needs to have the parts primed prior to any assembly so that meant the vehicle was AWOL for this game.
Instead I took some additional infantry, artillery observer, a spotter for my Medium Mortar team and a sniper. Palmer’s force was very similar to the last game with the addition of a Forward Air Observer, Light Mortar team and an armoured car.
Instead of the ruined French village terrain we used previously, I pulled out the farm terrain I had as well as the new hedge terrain pieces I picked up. It meant a bit more terrain on the table but not a lot more and certainly not as much as I would want for a larger game.
So when I started on my 28mm painting extravaganza I started out painting a Soviet force based on the army choices made by some local players. Since then I have played almost exclusively against American forces and so my painting efforts were not leading to getting painted miniatures on the table.
So now that I have most of my WWII German force assembled and primed I will, grudgingly, putting my Soviets aside to start to paint some Germans. I would have liked to finish the Soviets up but I don’t have that sort of time available to me and the goal really is to get a painted force done.
So I will be working on getting a squad of 28mm Germans done and then I will start alternating 28mm and 15mm figures. Squads and teams for the 28mm figs and then formations of figures for use in Battlegroup.
Hopefully that will let me get some painted figures on the table.
Palmer and I met up at Sentry Box for another 500pt Bolt Action game. I brought out essentially the same force as our last game, as did Palmer, with the exception of substituting my mortar team for a flame-thrower team. We rolled the maximum Attrition scenario and set up the terrain to represent a small French village with a road running through it.
I finished up resanding the bases of some of the 15mm US Airborne that I rebased the other day. I also sanded quite a few of the 15mm Battlefront and Plastic Soldier Company German troops. So this morning it was back at basing and I added another platoon of German riflemen and some more support weapons. I still need to assemble and base some mortars and HMG/MMG teams but once I do that I should have more than enough 15mm German troops.